7. Using the gears (for those who have purchased a multi-speed Chappelli bike)
- If you have purchased a multi- speed urban bike it should be already set-up and ready to use. However before doing so check that the gear cable running under the bike is tight.
- When the dial on the grip shifter shows “2” the bike is in second gear. There is a yellow marker on the gear changer which should be positioned between two lines when the bike is in 2nd gear. The position of the yellow marker can be adjusted by tightening or loosening the cable tension using the adjusting barrel.
- To change gears simply move the gear shifter on the handlebar either up or down to select the appropriate gear whilst riding the bicycle. Lower gears are easier for hills, higher gears are for speed. The shifter will display the gear that you have selected.
- You should not attempt to change gear unless you are pedaling the bicycle, however with Sturmey Archer hubs that we use you can do it without causing damage.